the NerdHerd Reads

Just a self-proclaimed nerd who likes to read and review (mostly YA) books. You can find me on my blog The NerdHerd Reads or on Twitter @nerdherdreads. Might drink too much coffee ;)

Spirit {by Brigid Kemmerer}

Spirit - Brigid Kemmerer

This review also appears on the NerdHerdReads

Unlike some others, I never hated Hunter, but I never quite liked him either. He just wasn't my type of guy. He was sort of mysterious, as we never really undersold him or knew where he was coming from, until this book. And while he still isn't my favorite, I do like him a lot more.

The budding bromance between him and Gabriel has obviously come to an end with the revelation at the end of Spark. With the problems at home with his grandpa and mom, Hunter is alone. Then Kate comes along, and he doesn't feel so alone.

Hunter has trust issues. Instilled into him by his dad, it's a hard thing to forget. Which may not have been a terribly bad thing, seeing as how Kate wasn't all she seemed to be. However, it gets in the way of his relationship with the Merricks, as he is unable to realize that they truly do want to help him, no strings attached. These trust issues cause him to make decisions that ended disastrously, and could have been avoided.

And as if I needed another reason to confirm Michael was my favorite, the way he took Hunter under his wing and gave him a place to stay and gave him work was awesome, showing a different side to the jerk he usually is.

And let's not forget Kemmerer's ability to tell an amazing story. Not only was it told extremely well, but it held some unusual and unexpected plot twists. It was an amazing book that will keep you hooked the entire time.

I will admit, I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did. So I was pleasantly surprised. I would definitely recommend reading this series if you haven't already. It is seriously amazing.

Source: http://thenerdherdreads.blogspot.com/2013/05/spirit-by-brigid-kemmerer.html