the NerdHerd Reads

Just a self-proclaimed nerd who likes to read and review (mostly YA) books. You can find me on my blog The NerdHerd Reads or on Twitter @nerdherdreads. Might drink too much coffee ;)

The Assassin and the Desert {by Sarah J. Maas}

The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.2) - Sarah J. Maas

This review can also be found on the NerdHerd Reads

Part II of my Throne of Glass Novella Readathon (title not official). I do enjoy these novellas, as I like how they give insight to Celaena and her personality, but also the different experiences that made her who she was in Throne of Glass, as well as how she's changed.

After her unforgivable actions in The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, Arobynn beats her senseless and then sends her off to train with the Silent Assassins. He gives her one month to receive a letter of approval from the Master Assassin. The problem? Well...they don't talk. Celaena, full of arrogance and pride at being who she is, realizes that the Silent Assassins don't care, and her titles will get her nowhere.

Although Celaena expected to train with the Master, she soon learns that he will not see her until she proves herself. She becomes friends with her roommate, Ansel, and begins to understand how things are done here. Ansel is the first real friend, at least female one, that Celaena has ever had. Soon, Celaena begins to even enjoy her stay in the desert, and starts thinking about what would happen if she stayed instead of going back to Arobynn.

Celaena's humility becomes genuine instead of for show so that the Master will train her, and he begins to. She falls into the rhythm of things, enjoys her friendship with Ansel, and doesn't want to leave. But then, the fortress is attacked, and everyone is not who they seem.

I do think the description is misleading and wrong. The whole "Celaena must find a way to stop them, or she'll be lucky to leave the desert alive". That's not how it went down at all. Of course, I can't say how it did go down, because that would give everything away.

Not going to lie, Celaena's arrogance definitely grates on my nerves. I was happy, however, when she finally realized that the Assassins didn't care who she was, and in their fortress, she wasn't all that. She becomes more humble, and realizes just how selfish and spoiled she was.

This novella also showcases the vulnerability Celaena has, that she never shows. She has never had a real female friend before, and so that was something strange and new to her. The book also shows that although she may be an assassin, she also has a soft spot for people. But don't let her hear you say that ;)

Although, I really just want to know what happened to Sam. Poor Sam.